3.25.2010

One Habit Of A Semi-Effective Pizza Cook

Once upon a time, in another economic downturn, I'd managed a restaurant. I had a carnival of exciting staff members. One particular cook talked to himself quietly and laughed to himself. I suppose it beats the alternative of screaming or crying to himself. At least he was auto-uplifting.

At the time, I wondered the future fate of many of these folks (and myself). Currently a few are doing well and a few are about the same. (One day soon, Gentle Reader, I will tell you a tale of an employee who was a former jockey who would hunt dog with a homemade bow and arrow when he lived on the street.) But anyway, one day back then I asked the 'self-talker' what he was hoping to do with his life or what he wanted to become.

His answer was heated and excited, as if he'd been thinking about that exact thing the moment I'd asked him.

"I want to make a crash-landing sequence".

I pretty much had the "?!" expression on my face, so he elaborated.

"Ya, you know really good movies have great crash-landing sequences. I just want to make a really good one and then build a movie around it".




Hmmm. Godfather. No. The Big Chill. No. Amadeus. No...

I couldn't readily think of any movie with a crash landing sequence, and honestly still can't now, but he fired off about 5 different movies with crash landing sequences. I didn't really recall the crash-landing sequences in the movies, but I realized then I wasn't a connoisseur of them.



I suppose there is a good formula for success for everything creative; a few good scenes, or a few good lines, or a few well-executed flying saucers smashing into the ground can be enough to float a good flick.

Anyway, HBO shows have a similar connectivity. Most all of their great shows I've seen definitely starts with some killer titles; beautiful, conceptual and wonderful animation. I am again impressed as hell with the show, Carnivalé; overall and, of course the titles.



I don't anticipate any crash-landing sequences in the series, but you never know.



An additional cinematic sidenote ... that same cook one day saw that Conan the Barbarian was on TV and got very excited about a feast scene with the (quote)"barbarian dog". He kept checking the TV for the scene and sure enough, there is a 2 second cut to a husky dog with leather and other 'barbarian' adornments. This thrilled the cook almost as much as crash-landing sequences. (as you might have guessed, there is not a single thing on the internet about the 'barbarian dog' in Conan. If someone posts a pic celebrating these two seconds, please let me know.)